CLASE SEPTIMO - [SEMANA DEL 20 AL 24 DE AGOSTO]

 Modal verbs.

Vocabulary





Lecture

(After "Three Men in a Boat" by Jerome K. Jerome)
I remember going to the British Museum one day to read up the treatment for some slight ailment of which I had a touch. I read all I came to read and then I began to study diseases, generally, turning the leaves idly.

I came to typhoid fever, read the symptoms and discovered I must have had it for months without knowing it. Cholera I had with severe complications and diphtheria I must have been born with. I was relieved to find that Bright’s disease I had only in a modified form and, so far as that was concerned, I might live for years. The only disease I could conclude I had not got was housemaid’s knee.

I sat and pondered. I thought what an interesting case I must be from a medical point of view. I was hospital in myself. All students need do would be to walk round me and after that take their diploma.

I tried to feel my heart. I could not feel my heart. I think now that it must have been there all the time, and must have been beating, but cannot account for it.

I had walked into that reading-room a happy, healthy man, I crawled out a decrepit wreck.

Dialogue
Maggie: Hi Tom, have you finished your homework? 

Tom: Oh hi Maggie. No, I haven’t. 

Maggie: The deadline is tomorrow you know so you have to submit it tomorrow. 

Tom: I can’t make it. I haven’t even started it yet. Can we hand it in next week? 

Maggie: I don’t know. You’ll have to ask Mrs. Robinson about that. I think you must finish it by tomorrow. She probably won’t accept projects after tomorrow. 

Tom: I’ve had so many other things to do. I couldn’t even start it. I don’t know what to do. 

Maggie: Don’t worry. I’ll help you. It’s not very difficult. I finished it in one day.

Maggie: First, you should read the article that Mrs. Robinson gave us. It’s about the Mohican Civilization. Then,  you have to design a poster for a play about them – the Mohicans – for the theatre. 

Tom: Yeah I know but it looks a bit difficult… 

Maggie: Not at all. You don’t have to make the poster from scratch and it doesn’t have to be a work of art. There  are lots of templates on the internet. You can just use one of those designs to make your own poster. 

Tom: Well, I think I can do it. What title shall I use? Can you help me? 

Maggie: Yeah, I can give you some suggestions but you mustn’t use the same title as anyone else in our class.  You have to create your own title. 

Tom: Okay, I can come up with something I guess. 

Maggie: Alright? 

Tom: Yeah, I’ve got to go now and make a start on it. I’ll follow the project guidelines like you said. Thanks,  Maggie. 

Maggie: No problem. Good luck!


Comments