CLASS #8 COULD - CAN - BE ABLE TO

COULD - CAN - BE ABLE TO
GRAMMAR


  SPEAKING

Balu : Suresh… Have you taken bath?

Suresh : I have finished. Why don't you go?

Balu : I am ready. But I am waiting for the three persons bathing there.

Suresh : They will return only after half an hour.

Balu : I am following Indu to take bath.

Suresh : Whose boots are they?

Balu : They are mine. I will take them after my return from bath.

Suresh : Where is our bus waiting for us?

Balu : Our bus is near the entrance of the school.

Suresh : When will we start our return journey?

Balu : We will start at 12 p.m. 

 TO LISTEN TO THE AUDIO CLICK HERE! 

READING
BLACK AND WHITE

When I was in elementary school, I got into a major argument with a boy in my class. I have forgotten what the argument was about, but I have never forgotten the lesson I learned that day.

I was convinced that “I” was right and “he” was wrong – and he was just as convinced that “I” was wrong and “he” was right. The teacher decided to teach us a very important lesson.

She brought us up to the front of the class and placed him on one side of her desk and me on the other. In the middle of her desk was a large, round object. I could clearly see that it was black. She asked the boy what color the object was. “White,” he answered.


I couldn’t believe he said the object was white, when it was obviously black! Another argument started between my classmate and me, this time about the color of the object.

The teacher told me to go stand where the boy was standing and told him to come stand where I had been. We changed places, and now she asked me what the color of the object was. I had to answer, “White.”

It was an object with two differently colored sides, and from his viewpoint it was white. Only from my side it was black.


LISTENING


Prehistoric people may have hunted and killed other members of their own species and eaten them, but probably not for food.

That is what a new study written by James Cole of the University of Brighton in England says. Cole says compared to large animals, humans do not provide much food. His study was published in the journal Scientific Reports.

Cole studied nine places where fossils have been found and where researchers have found evidence of cannibalism. Such signs include cutting marks on the bones.

Scientists dated the sites to between 14,000 and more than 900,000 years ago. That is the so-called Paleolithic period, also known as the Stone Age.

Five of the sites had Neanderthal fossils, the remains of earlier human ancestors. Two sites had fossils of prehistoric members of our own species and the others had fossils from much earlier human ancestors.

Comments

Post a Comment